Sunday, December 29, 2013

The "Meetcha" Trip! post 1





I recently came back from accomplishing our "meetcha" trip.
Our next trip to Eastern Europe will be the "gotcha" trip!

A few weeks ago, I (Crystal) flew out of the States, headed toward Eastern Europe. I flew with a friend, Abbie, a friend who I have known for over 5 years, she has the same heart as I toward orphans. Abbie was my travel buddy, my fellowship friend, and my personal photographer on this trip.

John took vacation time from work and stayed home with the children. He really enjoyed his time home. He has never had so much time with the children and truly cherished it. He used his time to nurture deeper relationships and disciple the children in character. Being the godly man that he is, he always does this, but even more so with more time.

During my flight, I became very motion sick. I arrived in country so ill and I couldn't shake it for three days. It was day three, still dealing with jet lag (or whatever) that I would meet Zephan, our chosen son. I also only slept three hours the night before I met him. I just couldn't sleep. I didn't feel well and I was super excited! and also concerned about how our meeting would go. "Would he like me?" "Would he be scared?" "Would I like the foster parents?"  I aimed to "keep it together" and enjoy the moments.

For more information: We chose Zephan, a waiting child, December, 2012. We chose Elliora January, 2013. Then we worked on our home study and dossier and all that goes with those. We completed our dossier in August 2013. We received the official referral in November, just about three weeks before leaving to go meet the children. An official referral means that the country is pretty much saying "yes!" to our request to pursue the adoption of these children. After the first visit, there is a mad dash of accomplishing paperwork all over again. We now have all we can do, accomplished! Then signatures happen and then a court date. We will be represented in court in our children's country. That is when the children officially and legally become ours! After court, we can get the children (looks like about six weeks after court). We are expecting the "gotcha trip" to be in June or earlier. Desperately praying for earlier!

During the "gotcha" trip, we will get the children soon after arrival to Eastern Europe, then do a medical visit and visa "stuff". Most families for this trip, are there for 12 days. During that time, the children are ours and we can have fun bonding. When we get the okay to leave, we will be happy to go home to have our family all together at last.

Many international adoptive countries require two trips. I think it stinks really. It's tough to meet the children, then leave them. But I understand the requirement also. There are few families who meet their children and they decide not to proceed with adoption. It is good that they are able to make that decision before the children belong to them. 

But for the children who meet their forever families, the wait is heartbreaking.

Our children were both in orphanages when we chose them. This spring, both children entered into foster care. I initially, had mixed feelings about this, but the foster parents are really great!

"Meetcha"

When I met Zephan, I came into the room, and he was all excited and hoping for music.

I didn't have any music, unfortunately, but I easily learned the word for music and I learned how much Zephan enjoys and longs for, music.

One of the first things he said about me is, "She is not a baby, why can't she talk?"
LOL! I think this is so cute. I wondered what he would think of me. And well, he thought I couldn't talk.

I played with toys in the room with him and dragged him around on the slippery floor. He thought that was "the bomb"!

Zephan was not told anything of adoption, they wanted to wait until I was sure of my decision.

I told them "Yes! I want to adopt him. He is so much like my boys... YES!"

All the people in the room breathed out in relief and joy! It was a very special feeling.
I asked when to tell Zephan, and soon he was told "Do you want her to be your mama?" Zephan jumped into my lap and said, "Yes! But I want her to talk!"

I met with Zephan half the week, then traveled to Elli's city and met with her the other half of the week.
When I came into the room to meet Elli, she was having her clothes changed, she had wet.
She was excited to see me and said in her language, "What is your name?"

I replied, "Crystal"
She said said her name and asked Abbie what her name is.
Elli also asked Abbie, "How old are you?"
Then Elli counted to five in three different languages! That surprised me.

Then to me, "Mommy, Daddy?" So certainly, she was told about adoption. I told her "Yes Mommy! And I will show you pictures of Daddy tomorrow." She was happy and was asked how many siblings she would like. She responded, "two". I said to tell her that she will have five! When Elliora was told, she was pleased!

Elli never once said anything about my language (even though she could not understand English). The only thing she did was at times, she would take her hands on each side of my face and tell me again. She must have thought I wasn't answering her, because I didn't hear her. She was very cute, when doing this!

more details to follow.......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment