Days with Elliora-
Some of my first day with Elli is described in "Meetcha" Trip Post 1, but here are more details:
Even
though I was supposed to see Elli for two hours in the morning and then
two hours in the afternoon, she had a doctor appointment that couldn't
be changed. She was getting the plaster off her leg from a tendon
surgery.
So,
I visited with Zephan that extra time. Then we drove 2 1/2 hours to
where Elli lives. I
wished I could have seen more of that area of the Country, but there wasn't time. These
visits are truly for adoption, not a tourist thing.
I
still was able to see Elli the day I was supposed to, only in the
evening instead. The sweet girl had been in a car traveling to the
doctor and back for five hours total and still retained a darling
disposition.
I was pleased to meet both the foster
grandparents. And also again, happy that she had foster grandparents,
not "parents", since
just like Zephan, there is a place for a Daddy and a Mommy.
Elli
was pleasant and talkative, she never concerned over my not being able
to "talk". She played with a "tablet" that played music when buttons are
pushed. I jiggled her
on my knees to the beat of the music and Elli laughed that deep belly
laugh that babies do when something is funny to them. Just the way
Zephan laughed at being dragged on the floor, Elli laughs when being
bounced. I also learned later, that I get the same delightful laugh when
giving her kisses.

Second day:
The
second day, we met at the "center" again like the night before. This
Center has much to do. It is more like a therapy room, or a sensory
room. We weren't there long on day two, really. Soon we went to get
Elli's visa photo. Then we went out to eat. Elli eats well. She had
"meatball". And by the way, "meatball" must be mistranslated, it is not a
ball, it is flat. It is spiced
deliciously, but certainly not a ball. It should be called something
else
.
It was at this lunch that I learned how much kisses got those belly laughs out of Elli.
Lunch
was with Elli, her foster grandparents, my facilitator, and Abbie. After lunch I
was told that I could take Elli to our hotel room and play with her. I
would have her for four hours. The foster grandparents went home. My facilitator
stayed for awhile, she helped settle us in, and
translate Elli's words, then she went on her way.
I
was able to Skype John and the children at home, with Elli on my lap!
That was pretty special. It was good for them to see her. I had been
sending photos and emails, but this was really a surprise! Elli liked
seeing the family, but soon became fixated on the "boootuns". She
constantly wanted to push buttons of the keyboard, the camera, the
phone. She is all out crazy for electronic buttons. She continually said
phrases I did not understand, but always ended with "boooootuns". She
said these phrases as if she were going to "just become flush and die"
if she couldn't push the "boootuns". It was really cute, really silly,
and sometimes over the top too much!
I
had wished that I had a stroller and was able to go for a walk, instead of being inside. Elli can not walk and
weighs too much for me to carry her much. So we were stuck, but we must make the best of it. Abbie had refrained herself from
"squishing" (squishing means deep cuddly, loving hugs
)
Elli for a long while. She wanted to not interfere with our bonding,
but then did ask to "squish her" and so she did! Abbie was wonderful to
have with me. I enjoyed her fellowship and getting to know her more. And
I'm so grateful for all the photos that she
took. I wouldn't have been able to get so many with two camera crazed
children.
After
a while, Elli became very discontent, very "busy". She wanted only
buttons and to wash her hands and to wash
my hands over and over and she was getting whiny. She has missed her nap, was tired,
and I didn't know what else to do. Abbie and I began to put her coat and
boots on to get our facilitator for help. We had put Elliora on the bed to get her boots on
and Elli began blinking very slowly and put her thumb in her mouth and
was looking sleepy.
Yes! another thumb sucker. God is good to me
.
Elli
studied Abbie's face for awhile, sucking her thumb soothingly. Then she
turned over and switched thumbs and studied my face. It was the most
precious thing. She studied my
face the way a newborn baby studies their Mommy's face as they nurse.
Here little Elli was looking at me the same way, while sucking her
thumb. She was soothed and she was imprinting me into her memory, into
her thoughts. She did this for about half an hour. Again, with this
child, God gave us something that I thought I had missed years ago. Elli
is 5. And she longs for a mother to bond with. She still
retains sweet, ready to be nurtured, baby behaviors, needs that have
never been fully met. She is ready for bonding, she is ready for a family.

Elli's
foster grandparents came while she was still sleeping and we chatted
just a bit about Elli's day and then they took her home. Elli woke up
very pleasant. It is evident her foster family loves her. And I am so
grateful for this.
Third day:
The
third day was rather short. We had just two hours. We had to drive back
afterward, so that I could fly back home
early the next morning.
This
day was so "free" with Elli. I just felt like she was mine. She was
excited to see me and I picked her right up into my arms. She was
delightful and had a plan of what we would do. I forgot to mention
previously in writing, that Elli is quite confident and rather bossy, in
a charming way.
She tells me
to take her over to the ball pit,
to sit in the ball pit,
to throw the
balls,
to sit like she is sitting,
to sit right beside her,
to put my legs like hers,
and so on and so on.
It
is all done in a sweet way, though it sounds demanding. What she is
after is not to really "boss others around", but she wants to experience
everything with me. She wants to be very close. She doesn't want me to
go away from her. She wants every part of our day to be together, very
close together.
She
looked very carefully through the photo book of our family. She wanted
to know who everyone was. She was given this book on our second day, and
was looking through it again on this third day.
The
social workers all (there may have been 6) looked at the photos and all
wanted to know what her new name would be. They were so pleasant and interested
in everything.
Her
foster grandmother was once again looking through the photo book and
she became emotional.
Our facilitator let her know that I will give letters and photos often.
I traced Elli's feet and hands and she found fun in that!
Elli
was told that I had to go and that there will be a long wait and I will
come back and be her mommy! Elli took things much better than Zephan
did. I do not think Elli understands just how long the wait is, though.
She sounded upbeat, she believes I will be back, and she only asked if
she could go out to the car along with me.
I gave her lots of kisses. I asked to tell the foster grandma
that I know she loves Elli and thank you! Foster Baba and I, hugged and
kissed cheeks. I made another friend, though we can not speak each
other's language, we both feel a deep love for a particular little girl.
It was pretty emotional.
Crystal
No comments:
Post a Comment