Days with Zephan-
First day:
I described some of what my first visit with Zephan was like in "The Meetcha Trip post 1". Here is more:
My first visit with Zephan was meeting him at the "center", after awhile, we were able to walk to a playground.
Zephan
was excited to be at the playground, but hesitant to play. He was fearful of
heights and movement. I
lured Zephan to the
slide by climbing up the contraption along with him. I could not prod
him into doing the slide, so I decided that I would go down the slide.
And the slide is pretty tight for an adult. Zephan thought I looked like
I was having fun, and was willing to give it a try, only on my lap. I
happily held him and together we slid (sort of) down the slide. Zephan
was in glee! And I quickly learned the term for "do it again" So my
little boy with his mommy began tying heart strings
as we went down the slide over and over.
After
that we walked back to the center.
At
the center, there wasn't much to do, but Zephan is
creative. He wanted me to sit on the floor, and we played with the one
toy, a truck, we drew on the white board for a long time. Zephan draws
many "potatoes", he says they are things like houses or animals, they
all appear to be potatoes
.
At
some point, out of my own boredom, while Zephan was sitting on the
floor, I gently shoved him sliding
across the floor. He gets such delight out of simple things. So I heard
his words for "do it again" over and over and over. I started to slide
him around by his
feet all over and slinging him, in a way, sliding on the floor. That's
when I heard those belly giggles that babies do when they are old
enough to find something to be funny.
He began
to get tired, and started to suck his thumb. My insides melted. I love thumb sucking.
And our day was
over.
This
ends the events of the day, but I've just got to explain about Zephan's
foster grandmother. I saw right
away how much she delighted in Zephan. Zephan talks "all big", with much
expression. He is a little dude with tremendous emotion in his
conversation. His eyes and eyebrows go right along with his words. When
he talks, his "grandma" is just bursting with joy and fully interested in
him. She loves him and kisses him and is absolutely eager for Zephan's
next conversation. I saw her love for him. I asked my facilitator to please tell her that I
know she loves him and thank you.
I
was really pleased that is foster parents are wonderfully loving and
also that they are grandparent age. So Zephan is not confused by
"another mother". He has grandparents who love him, and he knows he is
missing a mother. He was ready for me. He is ready for his own place in a
family as son and brother.
Second day:
The
second day, we met at the mall and went to the play place there. The
play place is where parents can drop their children off, pay by the
hour, and go shopping without them. This was in the morning, and only
every once in awhile would there be another child there, so we pretty
much had the place to
ourselves.
Zephan
was hesitant again, but I did everything with him, even climbing up
into ball pit
structure. We slid down into the balls. The slide is
a double slide and I would have to hold Zephan securely, and go down
together, but eventually he was more brave and went down the slide on
his own. He would say the word for
slide, but I never caught it.
When
Zephan became tired, he lied down in the structure and began sucking
his
thumb. I rubbed him and he enjoyed that. I motioned to hold him and he
gladly wanted held. Abbie caught every moment, and snapped photos of me
holding Zephan while he sucked his thumb. I cried. I thought that I had
missed all that sweet baby-like
cuddling and bonding, long ago. Zephan is 5 1/2. But he has a deep need
to be nurtured. He knows he needs a mother and he wants to be nurtured
so desperately.
Once
Zephan was done resting, he was up and moving again and we went to eat
in the mall food court. He eats really well. He ate chicken and
potatoes, and cream (which is pretty much pudding). On the
walk to the food court, I carried Zephan. He continued to suck his
thumb and also rubbed my hair, as if my hair was his "lovey". If he
doesn't have my hair, he likes my ear. If I am not there, he rubs his
own ear.
I can hardly wait to get this boy home and not have to end the cuddles.
On
this second day of visiting, Abbie and I were invited to go in the car
with our facilitator and the social worker to drive Zephan to his foster
grandparents house. They were welcoming us over. I gladly went. Little
Zephan fell asleep quickly during the ride.
The
family was very enjoyable. We met everyone in the family. Even though
we couldn't communicate well, it was an
opportunity and an experience I treasure. They asked about our family. I
asked some things about Zephan's routine. I learned that he goes to
what we call
preschool. They asked if I could keep updated with them,and I certainly
will! As we were leaving, the foster grandfather said to me, "May God
bless you as you increase your family with
children." Those words meant a lot to me.
There isn't much to write about day three. It was much like day two, same play place, thumb sucking, and food
.
Day four:
This was supposed to be
Elliora's day, but she had a doctor appointment, so we had an extra
morning with Zephan.
I had mixed feelings
about his "extra" visit. Of course I enjoy time with Zephan, but it meant my time would be shortened with Elli.
We were just in the "center" in this last meeting. There wasn't much to do there, but we came up with things. We played with a stuffed dog I brought to give Zephan, for a long time. I made the dog "bark" and "retrieve". Turns out Zephan absolutely endears dogs (he got the right mama
Later, I traced his foot (to sort of estimate what size shoes to get him for the gotcha trip). He thought this was fabulous! I
traced his hand and he traced mine. I left a copy for him and one for me.
Leaving Zephan was emotional. When he was told that I would go, but come back, he cried, "But I want a mama!"
His foster grandma and I were emotional too. She said in
English, "I love you." And I said "I love you" in her language.
No comments:
Post a Comment